Updated: Nov 9, 2020
One of the simplest cakes to make. An old favourite that is still popular today..
170g Castor Sugar
170g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1-2 tbsp. Milk
4-5 tbsp. strawberry jam
1. Cream together the butter, vanilla essence and sugar until light in texture.
2. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
3. Fold in the sieved flour.
4. Add enough milk to make a dropping consistency.
5. Place into two greased and floured 8in/20cm sandwich tins.
6. Bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean
7. Allow to cool and then sandwich together with good quality strawberry jam.