Cheese and Bacon Quiche Recipe
Updated: Sep 22, 2020
This Quiche is delicious either hot or cold. Perfect for a picnic or a family meal at home.
For the pastry
250g Sieved Plain Flour
125g Butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
1 Teaspoon Caster Sugar
Pinch of Fine Salt
1 Free Range Egg
1 40ml Cold Water
For the filling
200g Chopped Streaky Bacon or good quality Lardons
1 Dessertspoon of Dijon Mustard
1 Medium Onion Finely Chopped
Handful of Chopped Fresh Mixed Herbs.
325ml Light Single Cream
3 Medium Eggs
170g Gruyere Or Mature Cheddar Cheese
Pinch of Ground Black Pepper
Method for the Pastry
1. To make the pastry, combine the flour, butter and icing sugar in a bowl or food processor. Mix thoroughly until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then gradually add the egg yolk and water.
2. Mould into a ball and gently knead being careful not to overwork the pastry. Wrap in Clingfilm and chill for 15 minutes.
3. Grease a 23cm/9in loose-bottomed, Quiche or Flan tin and dust the base with flour.
4. Roll out the chilled pastry into a round shape slightly larger than the tin. Using a rolling pin drop the pastry gently into the tin and ease into the corners and edges. If the pastry cracks or splits use any leftover pastry to patch. Finally lightly prick the base with a fork.
5. Cover loosely with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
7. Next remove the Clingfilm and make a cartouche out of greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans ensuring the beans cover the base of the flan.
8. Bake blind for 12-15 minutes then remove the greaseproof paper and beans. Carefully trim the excess pastry from the sides using a sharp knife. Brush the flan base with the Dijon mustard and return to the oven for an additional 10-12 minutes or until the pastry is dry and lightly coloured.
9. Once dry remove from the oven and allow to cool
Method for the Filling
1. Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. For the filling, add a little olive oil to a pan and fry the bacon until crisp. Add the onions and continue to fry gently until soft and lightly browned. Remove from the heat, drain off any excess fat and add the chopped herbs mixing thoroughly.
3. When cool mix the cream, eggs and seasoning together. Sprinkle the cooked onions, herbs and bacon into the pastry case. Next add the grated cheese followed by the cream and egg mixture. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
4. Serve hot or cold